The author has been described by News Ltd as an "iconoclast", "Svengali", a pollie's "economist muse", and "pungently accurate". Fairfax says he is a "Renaissance man" and "one of Australia’s most respected analysts." Stephen Koukoulas concludes that he is "85% right", and "would make a great Opposition leader." Terry McCrann claims the author thinks "‘nuance’ is a trendy village in the south of France", but can be "scintillating" when he thinks "clearly". The ACTU reckons he’s "an enigma wrapped in a Bloomberg terminal, wrapped in some apparently well-honed abs."

Sunday, April 3, 2011

3:08am Californication time--cannot get to sleep

I am in Los Angeles. Can't sleep. A little worried about radiation--they've detected higher levels in the water and milk here. It's meant to be meaningless--on one recent reading, you would have to drink over 100 litres worth to approximate the cosmic radiation hit from flying round-trip from San Fran to Washington. But, as any good friend will tell you, I have always been anxious about radiation. It took me a long time to start using a mobile phone, and I always insist on relying on the speaker facility, much to the frustration of many over the years. I like Andy Grove's (of Intel fame) maxim: only the paranoid survive!

Anyhow, I am way behind the curve on my regular reading, which is disappointing, and may delay some posting. I did riff a little ode to my unborn son while on the A380 over here, but I won't publish it until everything is rock-solid. In the meantime, check out these amazing pictures shot from the A380's "sky cam", which allows you to watch the plane from your seat as it is flying. A weird experience indeed. (Many, many thanks to Qantas for the upgrade to 1A, which was a first for me.) One of these shots was taken just as the plane was landing. An extraordinary world we live in, do we (sorry for the Yoda syntax).