The author has been described by News Ltd as an "iconoclast", "Svengali", a pollie's "economist muse", and "pungently accurate". Fairfax says he is a "Renaissance man" and "one of Australia’s most respected analysts." Stephen Koukoulas concludes that he is "85% right", and "would make a great Opposition leader." Terry McCrann claims the author thinks "‘nuance’ is a trendy village in the south of France", but can be "scintillating" when he thinks "clearly". The ACTU reckons he’s "an enigma wrapped in a Bloomberg terminal, wrapped in some apparently well-honed abs."

Monday, June 11, 2012

Why do journo's rarely reference other journo's?

It's a funny thing I have often wondered about. We have some excellent economics correspondents in Australia. And some of them are capable of moving financial markets (less wonderfully on the presumption that they have been given inside information). Coming from a research background, I have been trained to openly reference anyone who has influenced my work. I think I usually get that right. But the great majority of professional commentators rarely do so. Sure, they will reference economists. But not their peers. If a Terry McCrann, Alan Mitchell, David Bassanese, Ross Gittins, Peter Martin, Tim Colebatch, Jessica Irvine, David Uren or Adam Creighton has something interesting to say, I will usually highlight it. I will try and draw readers' attention to it. The natural reaction is not to help our competitors. I think readers will respect you more for trying to deliver the best possible economic analysis--irrespective of where it originates from. That's my mantra, anyway. Of the bunch nominated above, I think Terry is probably best at reaching out to online commentators, at least. He's referenced Steve Bartho of Business Spectator the other day, and will often mention me, although most of the time this is for the purposes of a light-hearted verbal water-boarding ;-).