The author has been described by News Ltd as an "iconoclast", "Svengali", a pollie's "economist muse", and "pungently accurate". Fairfax says he is a "Renaissance man" and "one of Australia’s most respected analysts." Stephen Koukoulas concludes that he is "85% right", and "would make a great Opposition leader." Terry McCrann claims the author thinks "‘nuance’ is a trendy village in the south of France", but can be "scintillating" when he thinks "clearly". The ACTU reckons he’s "an enigma wrapped in a Bloomberg terminal, wrapped in some apparently well-honed abs."

Monday, June 6, 2011

My first article for Jonathan Chancellor's new real estate site, Property Observer

Jonathan Chancellor is the indisputable king of the inside running on Aussie real estate. Nobody has anything remotely resembling Chancellor's Rolodex. So when I was asked to join his new Property Observer team, which will now sit alongside my Business Spectator responsibilities, I heartily agreed. While the site is still ironing out a few bugs (such as home-page speed), you can get a feel for the first beta-version here. I understand that Property Observer has lined up a veritable Who's Who of real estate 'bulls' and 'bears', which should make for interesting reading (my old mate Louis Christopher makes a spirited cameo today). And Jonathan is already breaking fascinating inside stories, such as the new purchases by billionaires Peter Lowy and Michael Hintze. You can read my pithy contribution today on 'busting the big housing myths' here. If you have problems with the site, try it tomorrow when I suspect things will be operating a little more smoothly! Oh and if you want to follow Property Observer on twitter you can do so at @propertyobs (I, of course, can be found at @cjoye).