The author has been described by News Ltd as an "iconoclast", "Svengali", a pollie's "economist muse", and "pungently accurate". Fairfax says he is a "Renaissance man" and "one of Australia’s most respected analysts." Stephen Koukoulas concludes that he is "85% right", and "would make a great Opposition leader." Terry McCrann claims the author thinks "‘nuance’ is a trendy village in the south of France", but can be "scintillating" when he thinks "clearly". The ACTU reckons he’s "an enigma wrapped in a Bloomberg terminal, wrapped in some apparently well-honed abs."

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The best spook juice online: Michael Fullilove

If like me you enjoy your fair share of spook juice--or should I say intelligence goss--the Lowy Institute's Michael Fullilove is your man. I recently started following him on twitter, and he's opened me up to a world of interesting espionage and military information (I noticed he stopped following me when I criticised a recent encomium he wrote on the former prime minister!).

Back in the day when I was at Cambridge in England, and set on an ineluctable path towards working for ASIS or MI6 (jokes), I used to subscribe to an Israeli publication called Debka. This outfit claimed to be an independent news agency, and founded by former employees of The Economist. But it was pretty clear to me at least that they were a Mossad trojan horse. So while they were capable of breaking fascinating news, they were also publishers of red herrings.