The author has been described by News Ltd as an "iconoclast", "Svengali", a pollie's "economist muse", and "pungently accurate". Fairfax says he is a "Renaissance man" and "one of Australia’s most respected analysts." Stephen Koukoulas concludes that he is "85% right", and "would make a great Opposition leader." Terry McCrann claims the author thinks "‘nuance’ is a trendy village in the south of France", but can be "scintillating" when he thinks "clearly". The ACTU reckons he’s "an enigma wrapped in a Bloomberg terminal, wrapped in some apparently well-honed abs."

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Updated: So what is economic activity all about?

I intend to have a stab at this question later, prompted by some more thoughts stimulated by Keynes' biographer, Robert Skidelsky. In the meantime, I would strongly commend to you Robert Solow's highly readable and incredibly erudite essay on (in)efficient markets and ideology, which was brought to my attention by my old pal, Joshua Gans, who is currently having a sojourn at Harvard. If you'd like to read a thoughtful defence of efficient markets and rational expectations, try this interview by John Cassidy with one of the Chicago prophets, John Cochrane--it is well worth it. (Thanks to Stephen Kirchner of the CIS for pointing this out to me.) Cassidy also interrogates one of the better known efficient markets proponents, Gene Fama, who, it is clear, is a rather extreme acolyte. And apologies if this sounds inchoate, I am writing to you in the Qantas Lounge on a Mac, which is not something I normally do!

On the Kindle front, I am now emailing long word documents to my device, which are then instantly downloaded and available for reading in the exceptionally easy-on-the-eye format.